Sunday, November 11, 2012

Fenstersterne Selber Basteln! (Craft your own window stars!)


On my run this morning I noticed a house that had some stars and snowflakes displayed in its front window, and it reminded me of the Fenstersterne or Window Stars that appeared at wintertime all over my neighborhood when I was in Germany. I did some" research" (snooping around the internet) on window stars and found that most of the how-to books and tutorials were German, so I thought I'd do a little How-To for those of you who either have children who like to basteln (craft) or like to do so yourselves!


Usually, Fenstersterne are constructed out of Kite Paper, which is almost like wax paper but colored. I didn't have any so I used tissue paper, which worked out pretty well. As long as it's see-through you should be good to go.

You'll need scissors, a glue stick, and 4 squares of paper, cut in half to make 8 rectangles.


Fold each little guy in half lengthwise:

Then, fold his little corners in:

And on one end, fold the edges in a second time. Make sure to put a tiny dab of glue under each flap, to hold it in place.


 Tada!


Now all that's left to do is glue them together! Line up the edge of the section on top with the center fold of the section that's on the bottom:



Continue in this way with the rest of the little sections. 

  
When you get to the last piece, glue him on as usual and then tuck his un-glued side under the first section, and glue in place. And then you're done! 


Now, go hang your Stern on the Fenster!




No comments:

Post a Comment